Play Blackjack Online at Slots Heaven ZA
Hello and welcome to online Blackjack! It's also called twenty-one, sometimes Pontoon, and is one of the most popular online casino games around. It's a simple game to learn. It's fast-paced, and there are lots of exciting tables with unique rules, extra side bets, Live Dealer games, and even a progressive jackpot.
It's thought that Blackjack originated in France around the 1700s, and it spread like wildfire throughout the world. Nowadays, you can't walk into a land-based casino or log in to an online casino without seeing plenty of Blackjack tables and hundreds, if not thousands, of customers playing against the dealer.
If you're new to the game or would like a quick refresher, check out our in-depth guide so you can hit the tables with confidence.
Betting Rules: How to Play Blackjack?
We said Blackjack is a simple game, and we weren't joking. Your goal when playing Blackjack is to beat the dealer by having a hand with more points. But if you go over 21 points, you'll lose. If you both have the same number of points, it's a tie. If the dealer has more points (without going over 21), then you lose.
This is the bare minimum you need to know to start playing. But if you want to increase your odds of winning, check out the rest of the rules.
Order of Play
- All players receive their cards face up.
- The dealer receives one card face-up and one face down – pay close attention to the face-up card!
- It's now your turn to act.
- Finished? The dealer reveals his face down card and will play according to the game rules, e.g., hit on 16 or stay on 17.
- If you win, you'll receive your payout automatically.
- Cards with numbers are worth their face value. E.g., a 9 of any suit is worth 9 points, and a 5 of any suit is worth 5 points. Together in a hand, they're worth 14 points in total.
- The Jack, Queen, and King (known as 'face cards') are worth 10 points each.
- The Ace card is special and can be 1 or 11 points depending on the situation. A Jack and Ace together are worth 21 points as the Ace will be worth 11. If you have a hand worth 16 points and receive an Ace, it'll be worth 1 point, so you don't go over 21 (known as going 'Bust')
- Note: If you have an Ace in your hand that can be worth 1 or 11, it's called a soft hand. If your Ace can only be worth 1 point or don't have an Ace at all, then it's called a hard hand.
Hit or Stand
- Hit – This means you'll get another card from the deck. You can keep 'Hitting' until you go bust or decide to stop.
- Stand – Keep your hand and end your turn. Ending your turn is final and can't be undone!
- If you're dealt two cards of the same value, you can split them into two hands. You'll automatically make another bet, and both of your new hands will get a 2nd You can now continue to play normally with two hands instead of one.
If you see the dealer has a face-up card, you'll have the option of placing a side bet called Insurance. If the dealer has Blackjack (An Ace and a 10-value card), you'll win 2:1.
The idea behind surrendering is to save half your bet if you think the dealer will beat your hand. Choosing to surrender will end the turn and return half of your wager. Usually, you can only do it at the very beginning of your turn.
Side bets like 21+3 and Perfect Pairs provide additional betting opportunities, like creating poker hands or receiving a hand with matching pairs of cards.
Some Blackjack tables let you play multiple hands at once!
Our Blackjack games have an online 'help' menu you can access with all the essential info you'll need, like how to play, all the game's payouts, and how to use the game interface.
Blackjack Table Options
You'll find plenty of exciting Blackjack variations at SlotsHeaven.com South Africa for you to try. Here are some of our most popular Blackjack tables and what makes them so unique:
- Premium Blackjack – Play up to 5 hands simultaneously and take advantage of the wide range of side bets like Player's Pair, Dealer's Pair and 21+3.
- Perfect Blackjack Multi-Hand – This variation of Blackjack uses 6 decks instead of the regular number of 8. Play up to 5 hands at once, and the dealer will draw on 16 and stand on 17. You can also double down your split hand and place side bets like Premium Blackjack.
- Free Chip Blackjack – Played with 6 decks, the dealer hits on soft 17s and stands on hard 17s. The bust bonanza side bet means the dealer will continue to draw cards even if you busted. If the dealer also goes bust, you win a payout. You can also double down on any two cards and double down for free on hard hands totaling 9, 10, and 11.
- Lucky Lucky Blackjack – The Lucky Lucky side bet can payout up to 200:1 depending on your first 2 cards and the dealer's first card. A suited 777 pays 200:1.
- All Bets Blackjack – Features a series of side bets such as Buster Blackjack, which pays up to 2,000:1 for eight cards plus regular Blackjack and Lucky Lucky side bets.
- Blackjack Switch – In this version of Blackjack, you play with two hands instead of one with the option to switch cards between your hands.
- Blackjack Buster – The Buster side bet lets you win a payout when the dealer busts. The more cards in the dealer's hand, the bigger the payout, up to 2,000:1!
- Multiplayer Blackjack – Played with 6 decks of cards in the shoe, you can sit at the table with up to 4 other players.
- Blackjack Surrender – You can play single-hand and multi-hand versions and split non-paired face cards. You can also surrender on your first two cards once the dealer confirms they don’t have Blackjack.
Blackjack Odds and Payouts
The odds in Blackjack are simple to understand. Please note you may see some variations in the payout amounts depending on the table you're sitting at:
- Blackjack: When your first two cards are an Ace and a 10-value card, you'll get a boosted payout called Blackjack. It pays 3:2. This means a $1 wager will earn you $2.50 in total.
- Regular hand: A regular win pays 1:1. This means a $1 wager will earn you $2 in total.
- Insurance: Pays 2:1 if the dealer has Blackjack. This means a $1 bet pays $3 in total .
- Tie: Also called a push, and returns your wager.
|Winning Hand||Pays||$1 Bet Pays|
|Blackjack||3/2||$2.50 ($1 + $1.50)|
|Regular Hand||1/1||$2 ($1 + $1)|
|Insurance||2/1||$3 ($1 + $2)|
Basic Strategies and Tips
If you want to improve your odds as much as possible, you need to know when to employ Blackjack strategies. Doing so can help decrease the house edge in your favour.
- Split: It's always recommended to split if you have a pair of Aces or 8s. Two hands with an Ace increase your chances of getting 21, and a hand of 16 is considered weak. If you're dealt a pair of 10s, it's best not to split them. If you're dealt a pair of 9s, things get a bit more tricky. If the dealer's showing 2-9 you should split, but if he's showing a 10 card or Ace, then stand.
Your Hand When to Split vs the Dealer 2's, 3's 4 through 7 4's, 5's, 10's Never 6's 3 through 6 7's 2 through 7 8's Always 9's 2 through 6 and 8 or 9 Ace's Always
- Double: Knowing when to double is tricky because you only get one more card. The best odds are when you double with a hand of 10 or 11. It's recommended to double down when you have a soft 16, as the Ace can be worth 1.
Your Hand Double if dealer face-up cards are: 9 3 to 6 10 2 to 9 11 2 to 10 Your Hand Double if Dealer face-up card is: A and 2 5, 6 A and 3 5, 6 A and 4,5 4,5,6 A and 6 3 to 6 A and 7 2 to 6 A and 8 6
- Surrender: Use the surrender option if you have low total, such as 7 or less, and the dealer has an Ace as their face-up card.
Promotions and Bonuses
At SlotsHeaven.com ZA, we've got plenty of bonuses and promotions fit for fans of Blackjack. Head over to our promotions page to check out all the latest offers, and if you're a new player, don't forget you can grab a Welcome Package on your first deposit!
You can easily view the Terms and Conditions of each bonus, so you know what you're opting into.
Online Blackjack FAQ
- How to win at Blackjack? – You need to beat the dealer without going over 21. If the dealer goes over 21 and you have 6, you still win.
- Is it possible to count cards in online Blackjack? – It's not possible. Online Blackjack uses digital decks which are reshuffled after every round, making it impossible to count cards
- Where can I play Blackjack against a Live Dealer? – At Slots Heaven ZA, we have a large selection of Live Dealer Blackjack games using Playtech's Eurolive platform
- What makes Slots Heaven the best Blackjack casino? – We've got a large variety of Blackjack games, lots of awards, 24/7 Customer Support, secure deposit and withdrawal methods, and plenty of bonuses to boot!
- Can I play blackjack games on my mobile? Yes, all our table games are optimised for mobile devices. Simply, make sure you have a stable internet connection to enjoy the different blackjack variations.
Help and Support
Online Blackjack is an exciting game. If you need any help at all, you can find assistance in the following ways:
- In-Game Help Menu: Inside the Blackjack game window, click on the menu icon, usually located in the top-left corner, and then select "Help." Here you'll find key game information like the game's payouts, how to play, and more.
- Customer Support: Our incredible Customer Support team is available 24/7 to assist you with any questions, concerns, or technical issues that may arise. Contact us at any time via phone, email, or Live Chat.
Play Online Blackjack Now
If you've read this page from top to bottom, you're ready to start playing Blackjack for real money! To play your first hand, click the sign-up button and create your SlotsHeaven.com account. Once you're signed up and logged in, you can fund your account, grab your Welcome Package and take a seat at any of our incredible Blackjack tables.
- Email us at
We're happy to help.
- Email us at
SlotsHeaven.com is licensed and regulated to offer online casino gaming services under the jurisdiction of Gibraltar. © 2022 SlotsHeaven.com is an internationally registered trademark. SlotsHeaven.com is operated by ONISAC Ltd of Suite 741 Europort, Gibraltar under a license issued by the Gibraltar Licensing Authority, RGL No.053 and regulated by the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner. For players located in Great Britain only, SlotsHeaven.com is operated by Mansion Europe Holdings Ltd under a Gambling Commission of Great Britain Remote Operating Licence with Account Number 39448. Only players above the age of 18 are permitted to play our games.