Blackjack is one of the most popular casino games in the world, and online Blackjack brings millions of players to gaming websites every single year. Part of this is down to how accessible Blackjack is to beginners, as well as the depth it offers to more advanced players. To help you get up to speed with the intricacies of Blackjack, we’re going to cover everything you need to know to get started playing online Blackjack, as well as some basic Blackjack strategy to help you play the game with confidence.
Rules: How to Play Blackjack
The basic rules of Blackjack are simple for even the most inexperienced player. The game is a battle between the player and the dealer: the aim is to beat them by achieving a score closer to 21 than the dealer, without going over that number. So, in theory, you could have a score of four and still manage to beat the dealer if their score exceeds 21.
The order of play for Blackjack is as follows:
- The game starts when the dealer hands out two cards to all of the players at the table. These cards are all placed face up so that everyone can see their value. The dealer then deals themself two cards: one face down and one face up.
- Beyond this point, players perform the different actions available to them (we’ll cover these in a little more detail later in this guide). Once all players have completed their turns, the dealer will do the same, starting with turning their face-down card over so everyone can see what it’s worth.
Before we explain how you put your scores together, we’re going to cover the value of each card in the game:
- All of the numbered cards have a value equal to the number on their card: the 7 of hearts is worth 7, and so on.
- The face cards — Jack, Queen, and King — are all worth 10.
- The Ace is worth 1 or 11: the value is determined by whichever number gives the best hand. So, an Ace and a King would make the Ace worth 11, while two Kings and an Ace would make the Ace worth 1.
Actions Available to Players
The basic actions available to players are to ‘hit’ or ‘stand’, as even novice players may know from seeing the game played in films or television. To ‘hit’ means to be dealt another card by the dealer, and players can keep requesting to hit until their score exceeds 21. If this happens, the player is bust and out of the hand that is being played.
To ‘stand’ means that the player is happy with the cards they have been dealt with, and either the next player or the dealer will take their turn.
Some of the more advanced options available to online Blackjack players are as follows:
- Double Down: This is when the player doubles the value of their bet in order to be dealt one more card only. No matter what the card is, no more cards can be dealt out to that player.
- Split: When a player is dealt a pair, they have the option to split the hand. This means creating two new hands using each card from the pair. It requires the bet to be doubled in order to do so.
- Insurance: If the dealer is showing an Ace as their up card, the player has the opportunity to place a wager on insurance. This will pay out 2/1 if the dealer has a card worth 10 as their hidden card, otherwise known as a natural Blackjack.
- Surrender: When you are first dealt with your hand, you will sometimes have the opportunity to surrender. This means you will get half of your stake back but won't be able to take any further part in this hand.
- Side bets: Some online Blackjack games allow you to place side bets. These can include wagers on a pair being dealt with, a flush being made, and many other variations.
- Multi-hand: This is self-explanatory: here, you can play Blackjack online and be dealt with more than one hand to play with at a time.
If you come across any actions which don’t appear in this guide while playing online Blackjack, you can easily check out our help and support section to find the help you need.
There are a number of different Blackjack variations on the market, which creates a range of options for Canadian players to try online. Below, we explore some of the more prominent variations that you’ll be able to find here at Slots Heaven CA:
- European: In European Blackjack, the dealer is given their up card only after all players have finished their turns.
- American: American Blackjack is the standard version, in which the dealer is dealt with both the up card and down card before players have their turns.
- Spanish 21: Spanish 21 is a variation of Blackjack, in which all of the 10s are removed from the decks. While this does make the game slightly harder, there are other rules in place to compensate for this: for example, the player always wins with a score of 21.
- Switch: Here, players are dealt two hands instead of one. Once the hands have been dealt, players have the option to switch cards between the two decks with an aim to create better hands.
- Pontoon: In Pontoon, the dealer isn’t dealt a hole card. This means that players are paid out as winners on a score of 21, which ensures that the game offers a better RTP than regular Blackjack.
- Double Attack: This is a version of Spanish 21 with an extra rule added: once the dealer has revealed their hidden card, players have the opportunity to double their bet if they feel it’s advantageous for them.
Odds and Payouts
The payouts for online Blackjack are relatively easy to understand. While there are obviously some variations between different versions of the game, the standard payouts tend to stick to a simple formula:
- Natural Blackjack: This pays out 3/2. This means that on a $1 wager, you would get $2.50 back: $1.50 as winnings and your $1 wager returned.
- A standard win: This pays out evens: on a $1 wager, you would get $2 back. This is $1 as winnings and your $1 wager returned.
- Insurance: The insurance bet pays out 2/1. This means that you would get $3 back on a $1 wager: $2 as winnings and your $1 wager returned.
- Tie: If you draw with the dealer, you will receive your wager back. So, a $1 wager would pay back $1.
As mentioned, there are lots of different kinds of Blackjack games available at Slots Heaven CA. So, to discover the different payouts on offer to Canadian players, you can browse our help and support section to see exactly how to play when you feel ready.
|$1 Bet Pays
|$2.50 ($1 + $1.50)
|$2 ($1 + $1)
|$3 ($1 + $2)
Basic Strategies and Tips
When you choose to play Blackjack online, there are numerous ways that you can improve your Blackjack strategy. While at first, many people think this is a very simple game with no need to employ strategies, there are actually a large number of different techniques for improving your play style.
Below, we present you with a range of tips to help you get more out of your online gaming experience:
There are two major rules that you should know about splitting. Firstly, you should always split if you have a pair of Aces. This will give you two chances of getting a very strong hand, as opposed to a single chance at a weak one. Secondly, you should never split if you have a pair that adds up to 20. This will give you two hands that can be potentially much weaker, instead of a single hand that has a very good chance of winning.
|When to Split vs the Dealer
|4 through 7
|4's, 5's, 10's
|3 through 6
|2 through 7
|2 through 6 and 8 or 9
- Double Down
There are three situations in which you should choose to double down. The first is if you have a hand worth 11, as this will give you a good chance of hitting a very good score and no chance of busting. The second is if you have a soft 16. With this, you can’t go bust as your hand includes an Ace, so you are unable to go bust but still have a chance of improving your hand. Finally, if the dealer is showing a low card and you have a hand worth 10, you should double down here too.
|Double if dealer face-up cards are:
|3 to 6
|2 to 9
|2 to 10
|Double if Dealer face-up card is:
|A and 2
|A and 3
|A and 4,5
|A and 6
|3 to 6
|A and 7
|2 to 6
|A and 8
Surrender isn’t always offered at casinos and there are variations in the rules. A late surrender can be taken after the dealer has checked whether they have a natural Blackjack — this is the most common, so we’ll cover it in detail. Surrender means you give up the hand and get back half of your stake. You should always surrender if the dealer is showing an Ace and you have a hand worth less than 8.
Promotions and Bonuses
When playing online Blackjack, many people choose to take advantage of bonuses and promotions to help increase their bankroll. Fortunately, at Slots Heaven CA, we offer a fantastic range of promotions for all players, regardless of gaming preferences. Just take a look at our promotions page and you’ll be able to discover the latest options available to you.
Our promotions change regularly, so it’s vital to keep checking back to see when there’s a new Blackjack promotion on offer. You can also read all of our terms and conditions (including wagering requirements) on this page.
Canadian players have access to some of the finest ways to play online Blackjack on mobile devices at Slots Heaven CA. All of our games are fully optimized and scaled to ensure a high-quality experience on any device.
The online Blackjack titles can be played in both portrait and landscape orientations, enabling you to make the most of the screen layout options on your device. This flexibility makes playing Blackjack at your own convenience much easier, without losing access to any features available to players who prefer to keep the experience traditional on a desktop computer.
How do you win at Blackjack?
It’s important to remember that you don’t need to hit 21 to win at Blackjack. All you have to do is beat the dealer. If the dealer goes bust, you will win as long as you don’t go over 21 with your combination of cards. Remember this when playing to help yourself make sensible decisions.
Is it possible to count cards in online Blackjack?
It’s not. The reason is simple: on each new hand, the deck is reshuffled by the software. So, essentially, the deck is mixed up on every single hand.
Where can I play Blackjack against a Live Dealer?
Here at Slots Heaven CA, we offer a fantastic selection of Live Dealer Blackjack You can play a wide range of cutting-edge titles from the Playtech Eurolive collection.
What makes Slots Heaven CA the best Blackjack casino?
We have a fantastic selection of the very best Blackjack games to choose from. But on top of all of this, we’re also an award-winning brand, have incredible 24/7 support to guarantee you round-the-clock assistance, and we have top-of-the-range security for your total peace of mind from the moment you register with us.
Help and Support
If you’re unable to find the help you need in this guide, there are a number of ways for you to get professional support when playing online Blackjack with us at Slots Heaven CA. Here are the features available to you when you have a burning issue:
- In-game help menu: The in-game help menu will ensure that you can find out the exact rules for the version of Blackjack that you’re playing, as well as which payouts are on offer. Just click the ‘menu’ button in the top left and select the help option. From there, you will have access to lots of different options for getting help fast.
- Customer Support: The Customer Support that we offer is without comparison. Our team of friendly, highly-trained support staff is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, ready to give you the advice you need. You can get in touch with us via email, Live Chat, or phone — whichever works best for you. No matter your issue, we’re dedicated to resolving it.
Play for Real Money
As soon as you feel up to speed after reading our Blackjack guide, you can start playing for real money right away. We’re proud to be the best Blackjack site for Canadian players, and signing up with Slots Heaven CA is the easiest way for you to begin your Blackjack career. Just sign up, choose a promotion, make a deposit, and you can be playing for real money within minutes.
- SlotsHeaven Canada
- Best Online Blackjack Games in Canada